Monday, October 6, 2008

"Prost, Bierleichens!"

[Photo: Harpoon Octoberfest by Another Pint Please on Flickr used with permission under Creative Commons Copyright.]

I have a lot of traveling coming up over the next few weeks, and this past weekend was the only one I could squeeze in for my favorite fall activity, apple picking. Channel 5 predicted crisp, sunny autumn weather and I penciled in family time for one of my favorite childhood outings.

Today’s post was going to feature gorgeous panoramas of fall foliage, recipes for apple crisp and fresh apple cider, and photos of artsy pumpkin faces that I carved out Sunday night.

Now bring yourself back into reality and sympathize with my participation in alternative fall festivities for 20-somethings. I apologize for the lack of a feel good, pick me up Monday post, but I’ll spring for honesty instead. I spent Saturday at Harpoon Brewery’s Oktoberfest and Sunday I was way too hung over to even leave my couch, let alone drive to the boonies of Western Mass. for climbing trees and picking out gords.

So I’ll indulge you in my weekend spent with Southie’s finest keg killers, complete with chicken dance and polka contests, keg bowling and German chocolate cake eating contests. I know, you’re dying for the apple pie recipes already.

Aside for a small tasting of Wiener Schnitzel in Austria (gross), I was an Oktoberfest virgin until this weekend. First impression of Oktoberfest was that it reminded me of a carnival for nostalgic recent graduates dying to relive their day drinking days (myself included). But after a few UFO’s and bumping into old friends, I began to appreciate the atmosphere and the obscenely long times for keg beer and porta potties just faded into the crowd.

I looked online to try and be scholarly and give you all some cool facts about Oktoberfest being more than just drunkenness, but I didn’t find much. And I don’t like to endorse researching at Wikipedia, but their entry too accurately summed up Harpoon’s festival this weekend:

“There are many problems every year with young people, who overestimate their ability to handle large amounts of alcohol. Many pass out due to drunkedness. These especially drunk patrons are often called "Bierleichen" (German for "beer corpses"). They are brought by staff to a medical tent where drunks as well as sick people are treated.” Gotta love quality shared research. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest)

We only lasted until around dinner time (Weisswurst, Sauerkraut, and Bratwurst only satisfy you for so long) but my guess is that there were Bierleichens aplenty in Southie come Saturday night. Something we can all appreciate, German or not.

0 comments: