Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Photo Source

I apologize that my mini getaway to NYC coincided with a bit of a blogging hiatus over the long weekend. As much as I love my weekend trips to NYC, having a Friday vaca day plus a Monday holiday had me thinking bigger and better things in travel (bigger meals in Italy and better beaches in Greece anyone?)

Aspiring jet-setters such as myself will love the hidden gem Girlfriend Getaways, a magazine where you can find steals catered to just you and your girlfriends' travels (this is not your typical National Geographic fashionistas).

Their debut issue included articles on "where to meet men" and "the shoe lover’s guide to travel". I can't decide whether topics like these are pathetic or awesome, so I guess I'll just go with "typical" in the girly magazine world of Cosmo's and US Weeklys.

Their first issue was over two years ago (by Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel, the travel pro's), and based on my reading Girlfriend Getaways has come a long way since then. I scoured the shelves of Borders and Barnes and Noble for the magazine, but it seems as though it is an order by mail only. But the website is one of the best I've seen, with all you'd expect from a great girly magazine plus some additional features:

*Package deals that are organized the way a girl's mind thinks. Think planned trips around shopping perks, art appreciation, mother-daughter, fresh-aired fun and wine filled weekends.

*A "Be My Guest" feature on various U.S. cities. The equivalent of your girlfriend from Chicago taking to you to the best place for deep dish pizza, the most packed bar by Wrigley Field, and the trendiest boutique in town. A true insiders guide "because no one knows a city like the people who call it home".

*Stories for those who enjoy the great indoors too: A Bachelorette Handbook, an informative 'Don't Let Wine Intimidate You' guide , yummy recipes for girls nights and a "Scrapbook" section where Gawker blogger Jessica Coen chronicles her travels.

http://www.girlgetaways.com

0 comments: